Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Recommended way for sharing connection information between tools

elatt
7 - Meteor

I'm creating a suite of tools using the Python/HTML SDK that could all share the same connection information to a REST service. Currently the tool is setup similar to the S3 tools where the credential and connection information is entered into each tool and saved in its config. However, I think it would provide better UX if I could create something more like the Connect In-DB tool or the Input tool which appear to allow creating connections that are shared between workflows even.

Is this currently possible in the SDKs? Are there any recommendations for how to provide a better user experience than having to enter the same credential information into every tool that needs it vs. just selecting from a drop-down of shared connections. The API should be generic enough to allow storing credential information that isn't so specific to DB connections. This should continue to work in an Alteryx Server environment as well.

2 REPLIES 2
TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Looking into this @elatt!

TashaA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @elatt

I wanted to follow up on this for you. Currently we do not offer anything like this as part of our SDKs. I absolutely love the idea though, and I have put it into my notes to consider for possible future development! If you have any other suggestions don't hesitate to post them.

-Tasha