Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx IO Discussions

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Python tool not seeing data from input tool

charter747
7 - Meteor

Hello. I'm working with the python tool and I keep getting an error that no data was passed to the python tool. I'm getting this error when running the flow our alteryx server gallery. When I run it on my laptop, it works fine. I know that the input step grabbing the AVS.csv works on both my laptop and the server. I have no idea why this is not working.

I googled the error message below and see it appears when an empty dataset is passed to the python tool. In my case, that is not the issue; the AVS.csv has 900,000 rows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the flow. Very simple.

charter747_0-1651176706587.png

This is the code that's inside the python tool.

charter747_1-1651176744071.png

This is all the info returned after I try running my flow.

charter747_2-1651177317524.png

3 REPLIES 3
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @charter747 ,

According to row 2(File Input) of info, the File input tool can't read the file that shows 0 records were read from the file.

It seems that this file is put in the shared folder. Regarding this situation, I think this problem is not a python tool but also the access right of an account problem. 

Normally, if you run the workflow on the Gallery, it runs as Service Account. I think the Server's Service Account doesn't have access right of the folder that you want to read from.

Please contact the Server Admin and check the access right of the Service Account. Depending on the situation, it will be needed to set the Run As a user.

charter747
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your input Akimasa.

Both Alteryx laptop and Alteryx server can access the Shared Folder.

If I remove the python tool piece from the flow, it all works. I'm able to save it and run it on the server. But once I reinsert the python tool, I get the error mentioned before.

This flow works:

charter747_0-1651243548315.png

This flow does not work:

charter747_1-1651243721364.png

The python tool errors and says it received no data from the input tool.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @charter747 

My concern was that the gallery and Designer on the server would run with different permissions. So, the permission of the shared folder will be different. If it is no problem, I recommend to contact the Alteryx support team.