Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.

Python SDK - decrypting password from HTML GUI

pavloko
7 - Meteor

Hello folks, 

For those of you who have troubles with encryption/decryption of your secrets between HTML and Python SDKs. 

I found that documentation describing different states of encryption is wrong about the modes.

'machine' encryption specified in HTML corresponds to 0 in Python decrypt_password.

window.Alteryx.Gui.Utils.Functions
     .postJsEventWithCallback('Encrypt',  { text: this.state.apiToken, encryptionMode: 'machine' }, encryptedToken => {
         console.log(encryptedToken)
})

to decrypt the token you would need to use:

self.alteryx_engine.decrypt_password(config.token, 0)

2 REPLIES 2
wthompson
Alteryx
Alteryx

The documentation is correct.  The confusion may be in the name of the method decrypt_password, because it is used to both encrypt and decrypt a password.  To encrypt a password, the user would set mode to either 2 or 3 and the encrypted_password would be a non-encrypted string.  To decrypt an encrypted password, the user would set mode to 0 and the encrypted_password would be an encrypted string from a previous Machine(2) or User(3) mode encryption.

Returns a string of encrypted or decrypted text. Works with user and machine encryption.

decrypt_password(encrypted_password, mode) -> str :

encrypted_password: The text to be treated.

Supported options include:

0: Decrypt.

2: Machine encryption

3: User encryption

pavloko
7 - Meteor

Thank you for clarification @wthompson!

With the setup above, when I try to upload the workflow to the private Gallery in the cloud, I'm getting the error, even though it works fine locally.

RuntimeError: InternalError: DecryptPassword - buffer too small.

In the docs, it's says 'machine' encryption is recommended to upload workflows to the Gallery. Is there other ways to store secrets between environments?