community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev Space

Customize & extend the power of Alteryx. SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more!

How to get and update field value on GUI from python backend ?

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Hi.

May be someone help me with development custom alteryx tool on python.

Can't find how to change GUI values from python -(

Frontend:

<section>
        <h2>1. Choice file</h2>
        <ayx aria-label="data-source-metainfo-filebrowse" data-ui-props='{type:"FileBrowse", widgetId:"dataSourceFilePath", fileTypeFilters: "Askia QES file|*.qes|Askia QEW file|*.qew|All Files|*.*", placeholder:"Select Askia file"}' data-item-props='{dataName: "browseFile", dataType:"SimpleString"}'></ayx>
    </section>

<section>
        <h2>2. Choice tables and fields</h2>
        <ayx data-ui-props='{type:"ListBox", widgetId:"Tables", heightAuto: true}' data-item-props='{dataName: "tree"}'></ayx>
    </section>

Backend:

class AyxPlugin:
    def pi_init(self, str_xml: str):
        """
        Handles extracting user-entered file name, and input data verification.
        Called when the Alteryx engine is ready to provide the tool configuration from the GUI.
        :param str_xml: The raw XML from the GUI.
        """

# Getting the user-entered file name string from the GUI, and the output anchor from the XML file.
        self.file_path = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('browseFile').text if 'browseFile' in str_xml else ''
        self.tables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('tablesList').text if 'tablesList' in str_xml else 'EMPTY'

self.tables is always EMPTY - it's incorrect
In str_xml also does not have any passed values.

Also can someone tell me how from python to change the value of the self.file_path on frontend ?

Thanks.

Hi @WarGot,

Thank you for posting.

On your example, you are trying to retrieve "tablesList" value where dataName is "tree".

<ayx data-ui-props='{type:"ListBox", widgetId:"Tables", heightAuto: true}' data-item-props='{dataName: "tree"}'></ayx>

Could you please try with following line:

self.tables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('tree').text if 'tree' in str_xml else 'EMPTY'

Thanks,

PaulN

Meteoroid

May be you help me. How to send some data from python to UI ?

For ex.

gui.html

<div class='leftCon'>
        <ayx data-ui-props="{type: 'ListBox', showInfoRow: true, searchable: true}" data-item-props="{dataName: 'dataTables'}"></ayx>
      </div>

Python controller:

import AlteryxPythonSDK as Sdk

import xml.etree.ElementTree as Et
import csv
import os
import pyodbc

class AyxPlugin:
    def __init__(self, n_tool_id: int, alteryx_engine: object, output_anchor_mgr: object):
        self.selectedTables = []

def pi_init(self, str_xml: str):
        # Data from UI
        self.selectedTables = Et.fromstring(str_xml).find('dataTables').text.split(',') if 'dataTables' in str_xml else ''

How to send array from python and re-render checkbox on frontend ?

Thanks.

Hi @WarGot,

Does your use case justify to process data from engine (Python) instead of GUI (JavaScript) directly?

Although I don't have an example, you could achieve such interactions with a framework like Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) for example. Basically, the GUI would access the engine via a REST API. This is the kind of approach found in Insights tool.

Best,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Engineer

Meteoroid

Ohhh, bad news for me.

Maybe I can send a ajax request from frontend to python backend method ?

Meteoroid

Good day @Paul.N

@PaulN wrote:

Hi @WarGot,

Does your use case justify to process data from engine (Python) instead of GUI (JavaScript) directly?

Although I don't have an example, you could achieve such interactions with a framework like Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org/) for example. Basically, the GUI would access the engine via a REST API. This is the kind of approach found in Insights tool.

Best,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Engineer

Good day @Paul.N

My app consists of two layers.
On the front 3 fields:
- File Browse to select a database file
- ListBox 1 to select tables from database
- ListBox 2 to select fields from table

Backend:
1. selecting file I Python establish a connection to the database and get the list of tables
2. I pass the list of tables in listbox 1 and wait for the user's choice
3. I receive data from listbox1 and send to Python list of tables
4. From the selected tables, I request a list of fields and pass to the listbox 2
5. Receive the data from listbox2 and then transmit the data through the workflow

Screenshot_2.png