Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx IO Discussions

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Custom Tool with Macro Back End Example Code

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any Git repositories or community examples of a custom tool setup with a Macro back end? I'm looking to covert my macros to tools to make them easier for people to install. 

8 REPLIES 8
ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@IraWatt you can take a look at Crew Macros - Just Google it and you will find a bunch of them.

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for the quick response @ydmuley,

I have had a look through the Crew Macros and I don't believe they use the SDK. It looks like they are all Macros installed with an Analytical App. Its a very interesting way to install macros if I understand correctly how @MarqueeCrew has achieved this? 

What I am trying to find is an example of a Custom Tool using a macro back end before being packaged into a .yxi

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Another example. I create my own installers instead of using yxi, but the files are all the same.

https://github.com/tlarsendataguy/hit_the_slopes

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Awesome example @tlarsen7572, why didn't you create a .yxi file? the was it not more work to create your own installer? 

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Yes, it was.

I have created a few custom tools. Most of them are compiled into DLLs. To install them, the DLLs need to be copied into the Alteryx installation folder. The YXI installer cannot do that. So those custom tools require a custom installer.

I used the same installer process for this macro just to keep my tools consistent.

It also adds an entry into the Add/Remove Programs dialog in Windows so users can easily uninstall them. A small bonus.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks is quite a cool small bonus 😄 thanks for all the information @tlarsen7572. What did you mean by the files are all the same? Is the structure of your project the same as what is required for a .yxi?

tlarsen7572
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Basically, everything in the repository gets nested into a folder in the yxi called 'hit_the_slopes'.

I threw together an example yxi for hit_the_slopes. Hope that helps clarify the structure you need.

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks @tlarsen7572 this plus this thread Solved: Unable to find the Configuration File error - Alteryx Community allowed me to create a example macro tool yxi file.