Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Best way to request fixes to developer documentation?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey all, 

As I'm getting deeper into the SDK - I'm bumping into areas where the developer documentation needs uplift - e.g broken links, missing references, areas where clarification would be helpful.

What is the best way to communicate these to the right technical writer?    I dont want to log support tickets and make @PaulN 'a life miserable.  I could log them as ideas but that seems to be overkill.  I could post them here and cc the correct technical writer?

5 REPLIES 5
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@SeanAdams 

Could you please share couple of examples? I'll see what would be the best way to channel these.

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @SeanAdams,

Thank you for posting... and I am always happy to help! 🙂

At the bottom of the different articles in the help pages, there is a banner "Was This Helpful?" that you could use to improve documentation.

You could also send an email to helpfeedback@alteryx.com if you find an issue or anything unclear.

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Alteryx.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Solid gold - thanks Paul!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MichalM ,

I've selected 3 examples which should be relatively quick to deal with:

a) Broken link.   this page (https://help.alteryx.com/current/developer-help/quick-start-custom-tools) has a broken link down the bottom where it points out to the Python SDK.

b) Record Ref class: This page (https://help.alteryx.com/20193/developer-help/sdks/build-custom-tools/python-engine-sdk/classes) which covers all the key classes you need to know, does not cover the Record Ref class (class 'AlteryxPythonSDK.RecordRef') which is one of the critical input types for building your own tools since it's an input to IncomingInterface.ii_push_record

c) Hyperlink the types to definition:    if you look at this page (https://help.alteryx.com/20193/developer-help/outputanchor) and scroll down to the method definitions (init((RecordInfo)record_info_out, (str)sort_info_xml='') -> bool 🙂 - could you just hyperlink directly to the documentation for RecordInfo class on these kind of definitions?   

This seems like a really easy way to make it quicker for folk to get familiar with the SDK.

There are quite a few of these kind of smaller things; and there's also some larger pieces of effort (e.g. most API / SDK documentation I've used before has deep and rich example code - so the lack of this stands out) - so if there's someone tasked as a technical writer on the Help documents, I'm more than happy to do the detailed work with them.

Before I send these to helpfeedbadck e-mail like @PaulN  mentioned - let me know if that's the best channel for these kind of things? 

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @SeanAdams,

Well spotted as usual and many thanks for your help!!

I would definitely invite you to use the resources I mentioned earlier (helpfeedback@alteryx.com and banner at the bottom of the pages).

Best,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support, Alteryx