Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Alteryx Gallery, Private Studio and Server

radhikaraghu
5 - Atom

Hi,

So I am rather new to Alteryx and I have been using Designer for a few weeks. I have built a model that gives an excel file as an output. I would like to embed this model into a website or a desktop application. From what I have read online, I would require the alteryx server, gallery and a private studio subscription,

I would like to understand what these three things are and what the difference is.

I(my company) currently have a license for Alteryx Designer 11.5 and Alteryx Designer 11.5 with Desktop Automation. Would I require separate licenses for the above? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Roughly, Alteryx Server, Gallery, and Private Studios refer to the same thing.

Alteryx Server is a product which would let you set up a server in your organization that hosts the Gallery.  It also has a number of scheduling options (similar to Desktop Automation).

The Gallery is a web front-end for the Alteryx Server (see https://gallery.alteryx.com/#! for an example).  It comes with a number of APIs and engine commands that can be used to perform a wide variety of actions.  You should be able to use the APIs to do website embedding/desktop application development (note that a desktop app would still require a connection to the server).

Private Studios are effectively a security/group structure within the Alteryx Gallery.  They can be used to limit who has access to what applications/workflows, and to group teams together for better collaboration.

I believe there is also an option to get a private studio and have access to APIs in the "hosted" Alteryx Gallery (the link above) - which would allow you to create external-facing apps.  I don't know a lot about this option, but I think you could accomplish some similar things with it, though workflows in this Gallery have more restrictions (can't use run command or download without Alteryx approval, among others).

Konstantina_Gk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

That is really enlightening, however I have a question.I try to install Alteryx server but in the download page the only one available is the Alteryx Designer. Any help please?

DamiA
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi,

If your organisation has not purchased a server license, this will not be available to you in the portal. You may also be tied to a license group in your org which only has designer purchases tied to it. Can i ask that you send an email to Fulfillment@alteryx.com so i can assist you in getting access to the server download.

Kind regards,

dami

Konstantina_Gk
6 - Meteoroid

Ok! thank you very much!!

david_berg
6 - Meteoroid

Can someone without a Designer license be setup to access a Private Gallery or Collection? The use case I'm thinking of is: I want to create an Analytic App, publish it somewhere in Alteryx Gallery that is private to our organization or select groups within the org, and ultimately allow select non-technical business users who don't have/need Designer licenses log in to that Gallery (Private Studio, Collection, etc.) and be able to use the front-end of the Analytic App/U.I. to (filter, select, etc.) pull a desired report or file.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

The use case you're describing is one of the primary benefits of the Alteryx Server!

You can create a workflow and publish it to a Private Studio, then share it via a collection with business users who do not have an Alteryx Designer license, and they can run an app, choose answers to questions, and receive files/reports back.

Similar to my post from a year ago, I'm unfamiliar with the licensing requirements or restrictions of accomplishing this on the alteryx hosted Gallery (gallery.alteryx.com) and so if you are not referring to a Server purchased by this specific company, I'm afraid I don't know how accurate any of this information is.