Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to read-in SmartSheet Data

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I'm having issues actually getting the data from SmartSheets to show up in my workflow.  I successfully connected via the Live Data Connector and ODBC, but as you can see in the screen shot, no data is read into the workflow even though there is data in the Preview window.

What would cause this to happen?

smartsheet results.png

I've already replied to this post but wanted to submit a new post to see if I get faster feedback. :-)

Thanks for any help in resolving this.

-Mike

5 REPLIES 5
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mix_pix,

What is your version of Alteryx please?

If you connect a browse tool, do you see any data?

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi Paul,

I'm using 11.3.3.

I am able to see the data using a Browse tool, but not any other tool.

Using Select toolUsing Select toolUsing Browse toolUsing Browse tool

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mix_pix,

Thank you for your feedback. So based on your test, Browse tool could be workaround. If you had another tool -like browse tool- after select tool, do you see the intermediate data?

Smartsheet is not currently part supported data sources in Alteryx (https://help.alteryx.com/11.3/DataSources/SupportedDataSources.htm) so you face unexpected behaviours.

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Hi Paul,

Yes, unexpected behavior is certainly happening. :-)  It looks like I'll be able to use the Browse tool to limp through a workflow, and luckily what I've been asked to do is fairly simple (just extract some of the data from SmartSheets and prepare it for analysis).

It's odd that the Browse tool picks up all of the records after a tool even if the Browse Anywhere that's part of each tool does not.  For example:

1. The Summarize tool shows 7 distinct Stage values:

smartsheet 1.png

2. But the Browse tool shows that there are actually 12:

smartsheet 2.png

3. Luckily the 12 values are actually passed to the next stage, but I wouldn't know that without the Browse tool.

smartsheet 3.png

Thanks for your help with this.  I'll keep my SmartSheet workflows simple and should be fine.

ClevelC
5 - Atom

Hi,

I know this was solved, but I recently experienced this and it was due to the size of the string field data coming through. The Results window has a limit on what it can show. If you put an 'Auto Field' tool right after your input tool it will help shrink down the data set allowing you to view the results as normal. You can also put a 'Select' tool and manually reduce the string field sizes as another option. 

Hope this helps anyone else in the future! 

ClevelC_1-1622813565586.png

Labels