Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SQL Editor syntax and functions

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

I want to execute the following SQL code in an Input Data Tool.

select substr(
members, 
instr(';'||members,';',1,seq),
instr(';'||members||';',';',1,seq+1) - instr(';'||members,';',1,seq)-1)  members
from "CData"."ActiveDirectory"."Group",(select level seq from dual connect by level <= 100) seqgen
where instr(';'||members,';',1,seq) > 0

But when I paste it into the SQL Editor I get this error:

Error: Input Data (1): Error SQLPrepare: Malformed SQL Statement: Expected token ')' but found 7 with value '||' instead at position 76.
Statement:select substr(
members, 
instr(';'||members,';',1,seq),
instr(';'||members||';',';',1,seq+1) - instr(';'||members,';',1,seq)-1) members
from "CData"."ActiveDirectory"."Group",(select level seq from dual connect by level <= 100) seqgen
where instr(';'||members,';',1,seq) > 0

Is this an Alteryx limitation or syntax problem or because of the ODBC driver I am using?

When I simplify it to just a simply substr() function I also get an error. Is there a list of supported functions?

2 REPLIES 2
adm510
11 - Bolide

Does that query work when you run it outside of Alteryx?  From the query, it looks as if you're using a CData connector which uses substring instead of substr.  I'm also not sure if they support any of your other functions like instr.

http://cdn.cdata.com/help/CDC/odbc/pg_sqlstringfunctions.htm

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Thanks.

Looks like I need to do some more work converting it from the original in Oracle.

Labels