Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running a SQL query obtained via user input

OS85
5 - Atom

I am new to Alteryx and wanted to understand if there was some way of using a query (obtained as a user input) to pull data from a database using an ODBC connection. We can get the user to either upload a .txt file containing the entire query or have them paste the query as a text input.

The closest solution that I could think of was using a R tool (with the RODBC package) to achieve this. Is there any other way of accomplishing this ? 

Thanks !

3 REPLIES 3
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @OS85

If it's always the same database (same ODBC or whatever), then unless I'm missing something, I think Dynamic Input would work great: just use the "replace a specific string" option, and replace an entire dummy query with whatever the user supplies.

Hope that helps.

John

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) John, you beat me to it.

@OS85 - I've mocked this up for you below - as John says, the simple way to do this is to set up your dynamic input in a way that you have a good query response, and then do a string replace.

OS85
5 - Atom

@JohnJPS and @SeanAdams,

Thank you both for your prompt replies ! The Dynamic Input tool works great !!

Labels