Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R data files (*.RDA, *.RDS *.RData)

beperron
7 - Meteor

I'm an R user and checking out the functionality of Aletryx.  I see that there is very good R integration -- but, as I review the documentation, I am not seeing that Alteryx allows for R data files to be read using the input tool.  Am I overlooking something?  

Thanks,

Brian

8 REPLIES 8
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You're right that the Input Data tool can't read these types of files in. In some cases it makes sense (an RData file can actually contain multiple files so doesn't always lend itself to tabular data). But you can read these files in using the R tool...

write.Alteryx(readRDS("C:/Users/nryan/Desktop/temp/xy.RData"), 1)

Untitled.png

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It doesn't read these but you could easily create your own macro using the R tool and a File Browse interface tool that would allow you to input RDS data frames. See the attached.

Edit:

@NeilR beat me to it.

andrew_cook
6 - Meteoroid

@NeilR - How do I handle null values in the .rdata file with this approach?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you having a problem? Null values seem to be coming through correctly for me...Capture.PNG

andrew_cook
6 - Meteoroid
Yes. I've attached the error for your review. This is the first time I'm using Alteryx with RData and I'm not sure if it's a data issue or workflow issue.

Thanks again,
Andy

[cid:image001.png@01D2C4AE.B7F07B30]
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Doesn't look like the attachment came through.

andrew_cook
6 - Meteoroid
Sorry about that. I've pasted it in the email instead.

Thanks, Andy

[cid:image001.png@01D2C579.9A010B00]

[cid:image002.png@01D2C579.9A010B00]
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Still not seeing anything. One thing I'd suggest is debugging in RStudio, making sure you can get it all the way to a data frame.

Labels