Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODBC connections, parameterize authentication

Highlighted
jdubw
Atom

Hi

My team uses Alteryx desktop.  My goal is to parameterize the username and password for an ODBC connection in a standard workflow.

I created a macro using two text boxes and a text input.  The plan was to use the text boxes to update values in the text input.  I then tried to insert the macro into a standard workflow but could not attach the macro to a input data step with the lightening bolt icon.  Does anyone have an example of a parameterized database connection in a standard workflow?

thanks

• Database Connection
  • Macros
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jdubw

To set up a parameterized database connection you may want to consider creating a macro that has an Input tool in it that uses a full connection string, rather than the connection that Alteryx uses (the connection string would be specific to the database and driver that you are using, this is easily Google-able).  Then with Text Box interface tools you can update specific parts of the connection string like Username or password.  Once the connection string is properly updated with the interface tools a Data Stream Out tool could be attached to the Input tool to bring the results of the query back into the main workflow.  A screen shot below shows the rough set up of how this may look.  (you can ignore the errors, I was using a fake connection string)

Here are a couple links that may be helpful when setting this up.

Action tools

Intro to Apps and macros

Workflow in screen shot is attached, created with Alteryx 10.6

macro screen shot.png