Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input List of Tables from ODBC Database

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hello Community! When you connect to an ODBC database with the Input Data tool, you can see all the tables in that database. Is there a way to input this table list as data into Alteryx (1 row per table)? I know Alteryx cache's the list when you are choosing a table (or specifying a query). Does anyone know where the list is cached? Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @DultonM

Have you tried querying the sys.tables table? That'll give you the whole list, directly from the DB...

tables.table.PNG

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi @Aguisande,

Your solution worked for one of the ODBC databases I am interested in connecting to! Unfortunately, I do not have access to the sys.tables table in another ODBC. It's possible that I'm being restricted from seeing that by my IT team. That is why i am particularly interested in where Alteryx caches the table list.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@DultonM The cache is stored here in text files:

C:\Users\<<YOUR ID>>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\VQBCache

I don't quite know where it stores the data name since the files in that folder are all long GUID.

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Thanks All for your answers! I'll use the Sys.Tables when available but search the AppData\Roaming\Alteryx folder when that isn't available. The GUID naming convention in the folder is a bit hard to work with but I verified that if you are using Data Connections to access your databases, Alteryx will use the same GUID when writing/refreshing the table list. Once you find the right GUID.txt file, you shouldn't have to go searching for it again.

jdhanapa
5 - Atom

Can you share the query you used?

Labels