Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Data Error: "File length exceeds length allowed by manual editor"

aveitengruber
5 - Atom

I am trying to add a .txt file to my workflow using the "Input Data" icon. After I browse/select my file and select my "Resolve file type" settings, i receive the following error: "File length exceeds length allowed by manual editor. For est results browse to the description file (.flat) and specify the data file (.asc) in Option #5 of Input configuration". I have done this a number of times before and have never received this error until now.

Any help with understanding what this error means and how to navigate a solution would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @aveitengruber

I am struggling to recreate this error locally however, I often find reading txt. files in as a .csv and reading it in as none delimeted (\0) with an increased field length reads the file without errors. 

After reading the file in I use the text to columns tool to parse this out within the workflow.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

aveitengruber
5 - Atom

Thank you for your help, JordanB. I was able to find a work-around that gets me home. I can browse/select a smaller .txt file and set my "Resolve File Type" settings. After doing that, I can go and replace the smaller .txt file with the correct .txt file (the larger one that was creating the error). When I browse and select the correct file as the replacement, the same error pops up, but if I click "ok" the underlying file changes to the correct .txt file anyway.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Labels