Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Handle SQL column names with spaces

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Hello All, 

I am new to the community. I need your expert advise for an issue that I am facing...

I am trying to create a workflow with user's inputs and eventually generate a SQL query based on the input. This query is then dynamically executed against our Snowflake database. The table has a few columns that has space in between, Eg. "One Column", and my dynamic query is throwing error near the position of these columns. I am using Dynamic Input tool to run the query against the DB. Could you please help me to fix this? Thank you in advance!

Best,

3 REPLIES 3
Philip
12 - Quasar

Hi @geeman

Is the problem spaces in database table fields?

What is the database the query is running against? I know for SQL Server we have table fields with spaces, but the field names are enclosed in brackets, like this [Column One] and we have no problems. In other databases, you can enclose the field name in quotations and handle spaces.

adm510
11 - Bolide

Adding onto @Philip's comment, in MySQL, you would use back ticks

SELECT `First Name` from Customers;

geeman
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply, @Philip & @adm510. We are using Snowflake data warehouse and ([]) are not allowed in the query. I tried using the single quote but it was throwing error against the preceding AND condition in the WHERE clause. So I am enclosing the column name in '()' as ('Column Name' = 'Column Value') and this seems to work. Thanks for your help! Appreciate it.

Labels