Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filtering Multiple Input Data Tools

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

I have workflows that is make use of multiple Input data tools to bring in data from multiple oracle tables.  How can I limit the data pulled in by those input data tools without opening each one and changing the sql script?

Everything is connect by a primary key (Serial Number), is there a way to update it once and have it update in all input data tools?  Can it be an analytical app? 

I am hoping to have something similar to a user inputted parameter in other systems.  It would be great when developing to be able to test on a single serial number or two before sending the workflow through the whole database. Limit Records doesn't seem to be  working since it would have to limit to the same serial number pulled by the first input data tool to effectively join.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Nosal25,

Are you filtering each table by a serial number before bringing the data in? So, via a where clause?

If so, then I advise using Dynamic Inputs and have one text input that feeds them. That way you can dynamically update the Where Clause via the text input

The other way, would be to wrap all the input tools in a Macro and have one text input update all of them.

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

Exactly.  Are there resources in the community demonstrating this? What would a dynamic input updating the WHERE clause look like? WHat would that macro look like?  I am could use some examples of how to do this.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Sure,

Take a look at this KB article for the Dynamic Input option: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Dynamic-Input/ta-p/24946

Set up one dynamic Input tool with your DB in the template and a Where Clause in the SQL Editor, then select the radio button 'Modify SQL Query' and Add > 'SQL:Update Where Clause' and select the variable in question that will hold your ID.

After you have it working with one, set up your others until you have a workflow similar to the below:

2017-06-26_1944.png

The text input will have a variable that holds your ID.

As for the Macro option, the inside of the macro would look something like this (of course with tools after the input tools to perform certain functions):

2017-06-26_1948.png

However, with that option, it depends on your outputs as to whether you can combine the data into a manageable dataset before outputting via Macro Output/s.

Labels