Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

File input using *

Kanderson
10 - Fireball

Hello all, I am attempting to load 72 .csv files into Alteryx. They all have identical naming conventions and data structure. However, over the 15 years the data has been gathered there have been new columns added incrementally. If I load the newest files first, alteryx just assigns null values to the older files. This is exactly the behavior I want. However, I would like to reduce my use of file input tools within the workflow. Ideally I would like to be able to load all the files using a relative path ex. servername/foldername/datafile*.csv

When I attempt this Alteryx loads the files in ascending order by file name. Is there a way to reverse this? Load all files by file name descending? Is there any way to control the load order at all?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Use a Directory tool to get all CSV files in your directory, then, sort the list as you wish in Alteryx and connect that list to the Dynamic Input tool.

Edit: Actually, I just checked this method and you are going to have issues with differing numbers of columns in your inputs.

Edit2: Here is a Knowledge Base article that discusses how to ingest multiple files with different schemas that was posted on a similar question yesterday by @JordanBhttp://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Reading-in-multiple-files-with-different-Fiel...

GarthM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

have you tried using the Wildcard Input macro from the 2014 CReW Macro Pack?

Kanderson
10 - Fireball

I am not sure how this input tool works, but it is exactly what I needed. Thank you for the resource. I hope the standard input does this soon! Thank you!

Labels