Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to offsite SQL database

jstauss
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect to an offsite sql database and Alteryx is throwing the error: "Connection Error: Login failed for user 'username'".

I use the same credentials in Microsft SQL Server 2008 R2 and it doesn't give me any problems. The settings I use are:

Server type: Databse engine
Server name: the given offsite server name
Authentication: SQL Server Authentication
I then add the login and password.

In Alteryx I enter the same credentials in the input node after selecting Database Connection, New OleDB Connection, and then Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server.

Has anyone run into this problem and know what may be happening?

I appreicate any responses!

4 REPLIES 4
rahuls
9 - Comet
Hi,
I happened to be in a similar problem and the steps below resolved the issue;
1. Go to SQL server, right click and go to Properties 
2. Go to Connections and place a check mark in Allow remote connection to this server.
3. Go to Security in server properties and check if SQL Server and windows authentication mode is selected.
4. Go to Security tab in Object Explorer and expand Logins. Select the username you are using to login and Select the option Enforce password policy. Also check if SQL Server authentication is selected and click OK.

Let me know if that helps.

sphwillis
7 - Meteor
You may also have to add firewall rules.
vgopinat
5 - Atom

I also have the same issue. The same user/password is able to login through SSMS.

Test connection also comes out success, but when I double click on the input data box, I get this login failed error.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@vgopinat within the data link properties ( in oledb), go to the all section and edit the password value to the right password. I would also follow @rahuls's comment.

Digan
Alteryx
Labels