Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting to an API

Kirstin
9 - Comet

Hi,

I want to connect to the following API

http://brickset.com/api/v2.asmx

I have a unique key - but have NO CLUE how to get this to work in Alteryx.  I have a fair idea that the download tool is involved, but after that, I'm really stuck.

Help!

Kirstin

3 REPLIES 3
KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Kirstin 

You are correct in that you would need to use the download tool to connect to the API. To get you started I would look over the Tool Mastery | Download knowledge article to get a good understanding of the download tool. From there you should definitely check out the Guide to Creating Your Own Connectors Series. It covers in detail how to create your own API connector including authentication, creating the API request, parsing the response, and other topics of interest.

getcodin18
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks KevinP.  The documentation helped and I was able to solve the versioning issue.

Dr_B
7 - Meteor

First time doing this, and here is where I am stuck...

I know that I need to perform two Download functions, the first to generate the authentication token, and once I have that I can plug the token into the second Download to generate the actual data. However, I do not have a URL to send the original request. The vendor's help desk told me to copy the WSDL from the link into SOAP software and perform the request. Can someone please direct me to how I would do that? Everything I've seen presumes that there is a URL to send the request.

Labels