Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can "Publish to Tableau Server Tool" be used between servers?

KJennings
9 - Comet

Alteryx: v11.3, Tableau v10.3.2, Publish to Tableau Server Tool v1.08.1

I am able to create a workflow within Alteryx Designer (desktop) using the "Publish to Tableau Server Tool", which executes successfully and pushes a TDE to a target Tableau server.  When I attempt to save that workflow to the Alteryx Server gallery, I get an error that the macro cannot be found.

I installed a copy of the Publish to Tableau Server Tool to the Alteryx server, and by using a copy of DESIGNER on the server, I am still able to create and successfully execute a workflow that pushes a TDE to the target Tableau Server. But again, when I attempt to save this workflow to the Alteryx Server gallery, I continue to get the error that the macro is not found.

Looking at the configuration properties of the tool on both the desktop and the server copy of DESIGNER, I see that the path value for each copy of the tool is distinct from the other. This makes me believe that the path used by the tool in Designer needs to be mirrored somehow on the server, to that the same path exists on both machines in a relative sense.

Has anyone successfully published a workflow to the Alteryx Server gallery that included the Publish to Tableau Server Tool so that workflows can be executed from the Alteryx Server to Tableau Server? This tool works from desktop to server, but is it designed to work between servers?

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @KJennings,

Often the Tool may be installed as a User rather than admin and the 'Run As' user that the gallery has access to can not access the tool. Try having the workflow run with the credentials that the tool was installed as to check this.

KevinP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@KJennings as @KaneG suggested this is likely an access issue. Tools/Macros packaged as .yxi files are by default installed only for the user that installed the tool. Because of this Gallery and Scheduler often do not have access to the tool(s). Our Alteryx Server help documentation has steps to ensure these tools are correctly accessible to the server. You can find the documentation at the following link.

Server Help: Install Tool Packages

KJennings
9 - Comet

Thank you for the responses, but we went with the vendor's documented solution in INSTALL TOOL PACKAGES as our final solution.  It wasn't immediately found as we were searching for "macro", not "tool".

Once the folder "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools" was set up, we were able to execute the macro/tool from Designer and Gallery on the Alteryx server to push the TDE to the Tableau server.

Labels