Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Active Directory / LDAP as a data source?

dataMack
12 - Quasar

Has anyone been able to use an Active Directory / LDAP structure as a data source to query within Alteryx?  This would be useful for checking group membership of users.

8 REPLIES 8
dataMack
12 - Quasar

I found this on GitHub: https://github.com/tobiasmh/Alteryx-Ldap-Input-Plugin-Binaries

But not sure what to make of it.  I can't copy .dlls into an admin only directory anyway.

Cristian
9 - Comet
jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

The CData ODBC driver works to query user level data.

Has anyone been able to filter it to a list of users that are members of a particular group? .. or if there are plans for Alteryx to include this capability.

For me to get it to work:

User: had to have the domain\username format

Server: I launched "Active Directory Domain and Trusts" and took the name listed on the left

Base DN: I used the "Active Directory Administrative Center" >> Overview  to search for a specific user and then copy the Path shown to get the Base DN.

For me ... OU=Inactive,OU=Users,OU=Accounts,DC=my,DC=domain,DC=ca

I left the rest alone. 

adm510
11 - Bolide

@dataMack

I wrote a PowerShell script to to pull AD groups for every single user which is refreshed every few hours into a database.  You will definitely want to use the LDAP_MATCHING_RULE_IN_CHAIN filter in your query, this will ensure that you recursively get all groups for a particular user.

For example, suppose you have have the following 3 AD groups:

1. Acme Co Employees
  2. Acme Co Contractors
  3. Acme Co Employees and Contractors

Now suppose you're in group 1, and group 1 is also a member of group 3, that means you're technically a member of group 1 & 3. I haven't used the CData connector, but I'm not sure if it would be able to catch this.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa746475(v=vs.85).aspx

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Good point, nested groups could complicate things.

I too have a powershell script that pulls AD group info. I was hoping to consolidate it into an Alteryx workflow and to be able to run it on demand.

adm510
11 - Bolide

Why not have Alteryx call the Powershell script for you, that's how I have my script scheduled.  I use PowerShell to dump the output to a CSV and Alteryx parses it as needed.

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

That's my plan if I can't get the ODBC connection to do what I want.

I don't have much Powershell experience and would prefer an in-tool solution. As it stands I/we already have too many Powershell/DOS scripts and find them hard to track/debug/monitor. As a team lead, I find that the GUI of Alteryx makes managing things easier amongst the team. Mainly a personal preference I guess.

LATHROPS
7 - Meteor

I'm using Excel PowerQuery.   It's a pretty crummy way to do it in my opinion, but it's what I have and what I'm using.

1. Solved: Active Directory query group membership for a user - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com...

2. Excel Get & Transform – Extract information from Active Directory – 4sysops

I would prefer a nice API contained within Alteryx though.

Labels