Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

About the xls and xlsx input

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have thousands of excel files which is in the same structure but some of them may be in .xls and some in .xlsx

I tried to use directory to import all excel files but i come across some errors. I have a macro to break down the excel into  rows and colums but it only works for xlsx not xls.

it about unable to open archive for unzipping.....

sorry i didnt cap any screen shots but i saw some discussion on it.

What should I do to read all of them?

thanks

Kenneth

5 REPLIES 5
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kennethli give the following a try. Wherever you unzip it, it should run out of the box. I'm using a directory tool to get the filepaths. The macro feeds the filepaths into an input tool, as well as change the filetype to either xls (8) or xlsx (25). While I'm just reading Sheet1 as an example, you could obviously change the sheet name or pass it to the macro for your situation!

kennethli
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @patrick_digan, that's a easy trick to make it works. Just wondering how do you know the filetype is 8 and 25 before looking into the configurations.

One further question, is it possible to unlock the excel sheets with alteryx? I found some of my xlsx files are locked...which causes error.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There is an advanced option to display xml in properties window. When I add any old xls as an input tool, I checked the xml to see that it corresponds to fileformat 8:

Capture.PNG

I've never looked into unlocking excel sheets.

Anithaguptha
5 - Atom

Hi Team,

I'm stillfacing this issue even after trying all these listed methods. My input file is in .xls format (image Attached) and when i tried to connect the file am facing an error message as shown in the beAttached Image

Can someone please advice

Thanks inadavance for your help

adm510
11 - Bolide

Whenever I get the error in your Capture.PNG file, it's usually because the Excel file is really HTML and Alteryx doesn't support that specific format.  I haven't figured out a nice way of getting Alteryx to open them up.  To tell if you have a HTML file, open your Excel file in notepad or any ASCII editor, if it looks like this you will know it's HTML

xls as html.png

Labels