Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

179KB file is too large to save to a flat file?

adm510
11 - Bolide

I'm trying to save some data that was downloaded to a flat file using Alteryx.  The input to the data output component is 179KB, but Alteryx keeps giving me errors saying my file is over 1GB in size.  If I save it as a CSV the file is only 88KB, so I don't know where the 1073741823 bytes are coming from. Any thoughts?  Ideally I would like to save the ASCII file as-is, so I can keep a copy of the original data.

flatfile.png

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@adm510,

I would suggest that you put an "Auto Field" tool in just prior to the output.  My guess is that the V_WString (Size 1073741823) is the issue.  The data may be small, but when you output to a FLAT file, it will expand each field to it's maximum size.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
adm510
11 - Bolide

@MarqueeCrew

That helped a bit, but it still won't allow me to save the file due to size issues.

flatfile.png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Please PM me with your email and I'll setup a webex now with you.

Cheers,

Mark

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Solution was:

Use CSV format with \0 as the delimiter.

Cheers,

Mark

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

This post really helped me out.  I had to output a single field to a file.  The field was a very, very long XML string that I had munged together.  It was important to output the field value "as is", so using a null separator, and dropping the headers, and not quoting values.  Very helpful of you to post the solution, thanks!

JamesMalyk
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for the solution on this, it's been bugging me for a while... great output tool/method.

amitios
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for solution

Labels