Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Data Science

Machine learning & data science for beginners and experts alike.
TimothyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

At a high-level, forecasting techniques can be broken down into three main categories:

• Historical Average with Sliding Windows
    • Examples: Seasonal Decomposition, Exponential Smoothing (ETS)
    • Pros: Simplicity: any tool can integrate like Excel & Tableau;
    • Cons: Laggardly reaction to changes & overly responsive with outliers, only works with simple structure

• Linear Models
    • Examples: ARIMA, VAR(Good for multiple time series)
    • Pros: Works with consistent variation, such as established seasonality trends
    • Cons: Proper assumption on stationarity and homoscedasticity (statistics term for consistent variance/error). Careful predictor selection to prevent multicollinearity (statistics term when predictors are linearly correlated).

• Non-Linear Models
    • Examples: Prophet, GARCH (generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity), Deep Learning
    • Pros: Discovering non-linear relationship & data drift in your data. Example: stocks, holidays, etc.
    • Cons: Requires a large amount of data, setup, and maintenance. Prone to overfitting.

Christmas Sales are Coming

Prophet is the open-source package developed by Facebook, belonging to the non-linear model subset. However, it uses relatively much less data and configuration to build an accurate forecast model. In fact, the package became popular because of its easiness and robustness to handle missing value & data shifts.

To start with, download the workflow including the Prophet tool here. We will use one of the Kaggle competitions, Rossmann Store Sales, for our modeling. Why did we choose this? Because it involves CHRISTMAS!!!

8wz2omZEbVzSU.gif

Okay, to be more specific: it involves a holiday parameter. To understand better, we have to know the core of Prophet:

Prophet is an additive model with three main components: Seasonality, Changepoint & Holidays

• Seasonality: Decompose data into Trend, Yearly/Weekly/Daily Seasonality & Noise. Similar to Time Series Plot.
  • Changepoint: Potential changepoints are placed with the rating scale to detect the shift in trend automatically.
  • Holiday: A pre-defined list to capture more than 63 countries’ holidays in the model. User-defined list is possible.

Let’s put theory into practice.

(Note: make sure you have internet access when open the workflow for package installation.)

Summary

First, we filter the store sales history into training and testing set per Kaggle instruction. Instead of six weeks ahead, we go further and set to eight weeks, which in total 61 days. We then run Prophet tools with three settings together with ARIMA & ETS and calculate the mean absolute percentage error (MAPE) based on the actual data and forecasted result.

CristonS_1-1576709682157.png

Basic

I Data Input

At a minimum, Prophet only requires two columns: Date Time & Target. Specify how many periods to forecast: 61 in this case. Prophet will analyze the whole time series and build the model accordingly.

In the same window, you could also include Holiday as a parameter. If you check that box, you will find a collection of countries to pick. Here we will choose Germany since it’s the company base. Feel free to try out others and let us know!

prophet3_1.jpg

O Forecast output

Same as the TS Forecast tool, Prophet outputs forecast values and its lower & upper confidence bound. It also provides a forecasted trend for analysts to further engineer.

CristonS_5-1576709682125.png

R Report Output

Components Plot & Changepoint Chart are provided to understand the model effect.

The components plot visualizes the trend, daily/weekly/yearly seasonality and the Holiday effect.

Below are the component plots from the first two Prophet tools. By adding the Germany public holidays on the right, we could observe there are spikes in April (Easter), June/July (Summer), Oct (German Unity or Oktoberfest?), Dec (Christmas!). These spikes indicate the high degree of holiday effect on the drug store sales every year. Furthermore, the trends with the holiday elements show more layers while the yearly seasonality is less fluctuated.

CristonS_6-1576709682151.pngCristonS_7-1576709682153.png

First Comparison

Check out the first Summarize tool. You will see the Prophet model with holiday parameter performs better than the one without. A 0.04 percent accuracy improvement. Not bad considered it’s an out of the box feature! Let’s fine-tune the model further.

CristonS_8-1576709682129.png

Advanced

Hyperparameter Optimization

After building your first two models, it’s time to tune the hyperparameters. Switch to the Model Customization Tab and check the Auto Parameter Tuning (HPO) option.

To make this tool more automatic, a Bayesian Optimization function is added to tune the following hyperparameters:

• Number of Changepoint: Number of potential changepoints to include. Selected automatically if not supplied.
  • Changepoint Scale: Flexibility of the changepoint. Large values will allow many changepoints; small values limit it.
  • Seasonality scale: Strength of the seasonality model. Larger values allow larger fluctuations, smaller values dampen it

Too many things to tune? No worries. Instead of manually tuning it one by one, here you just need to key in the number of iterations and sit back. The model will start hunting for the best hyperparameters.

Within a few minutes, the result is out.

orchfilms-nick-thune-people-you-may-know-3ohzUlFChYLvQuG8mY.gifCristonS_10-1576709682159.png

Manual Parameters

After running the auto parameter options, we found the best parameter set. Running the HPO option every time will incur computation costs. Instead, we will take the numbers and put them in the Manual Parameter option. Here our final Prophet HPO model is produced.

To look at the model difference, we will check out the R report one more time.

CristonS_11-1576709682133.png

CristonS_12-1576709682150.png

The changepoint chart visualize at which point the time series abruptly changed.

CristonS_13-1576709682155.pngCristonS_14-1576709682163.png

With the new set of parameters, the model successfully uncovers the non-linear trends across three years, which previously can only see a slight upward trend. How does this finalized Prophet HPO model perform? Let’s bring in ARIMA & ETS in order to make the comparison.

Second Comparison

In the second summarize tool, we can see the Prophet HPO model’s accuracy further improved. It is also stunning to see the ARIMA & ETS MAPE is much higher than the Prophet model. An ensemble model between ETS & Prophet can be considered for the next step.

CristonS_15-1576709682143.png

End! And?

That’s all for now! In this post, we learned some fundamental blocks on forecasting techniques. We also introduced a new hot forecasting package: Prophet, including its key components and auto-tuning its hyper-parameters. Once you are ready, feel free to enrich the model with other techniques. e.g., Add external regressors, edit custom dates like promotions, set up saturating maximum for logistic growth, etc.

Additional resources:

For users who are interested to modify the optimization search range & solver at the backend, feel free to open the macro and modify the code inside. Here, the key parameters are highlighted in magenta. Have Fun!

trippy-text-thanks-CTfg7SZKO10Pe.gif

#define hyper search parameter
rand_search_grid = data.frame(
changepoint_prior_scale = sort(runif(10, 0.01, 20)),
seasonality_prior_scale = c(sort(sample(c(runif(5, 0.01, 0.05), runif(5, 1, 20)), 5, replace = F)),
sort(sample(c(runif(5, 0.01, 0.05), runif(5, 1, 20)), 5, replace = F))),
n_changepoints = sample(5:50, 10, replace = F)
ba_search = BayesianOptimization(prophet_fit_bayes,
bounds = bayesian_search_bounds,
init_grid_dt = rand_search_grid,
init_points = 1,
n_iter = %Question.iteration.var%,
acq = 'ucb',
kappa = 1,
eps = 0,
verbose = TRUE)  

Comments
mutama
Alteryx
Alteryx
Excellent! Once again showing the extensibility + flexibility of Alteryx, and bringing business forecasting to yet another level.
kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

@TimothyL, thanks for adding another great forecasting model macro!!

Can it handle monthly or yearly forecast other than daily?  Also, can we add custom holiday list?

TimothyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@kelvin_law1 

Great question! Both are possible.

The tool will automatically handle the date whether it's in the day, month or year and plot out the seasonalities.

And you can add a customized holiday or special event like here: https://facebook.github.io/prophet/docs/seasonality,_holiday_effects,_and_regressors.html#modeling-h...

If you open up the tool, you will find sample code in it.

clarab
Alteryx
Alteryx

For anyone who encounters issues in running the workflow, please set "Show All Macro Messages" option in the "Rossmann Sales Forecast with Prophet" workflow to get further details of the error. Check the error(s). The error(s) may likely due to some missing packages or files.

To successfully run the workflow, please ensure that the "Prophet" package is installed in the "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.5.3\library" path, assuming this is the location where you have installed Alteryx Designer. 

Note that Alteryx Predictive Tools must be installed.

ebarr
7 - Meteor

Question on forecasting sales - while holidays and seasonal trends can be identified and included - marketing and/or public relationships, among other things, can also impact the forecast.  How do you integrate spending to determine if it truly is seasonality vs. marketing efficiency and increase/decrease of spend?

sheidari
8 - Asteroid

@TimothyL  when i download the workflow, it shows up like this in my windows explorer: 

sheidari_0-1635523081497.png

If i change the extension to a .yxmd, i get this error in Alteryx:

sheidari_1-1635523122617.png

Any tips on how to solve for this?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@sheidari the file downloads as yxzp. Rename it to file.yxzp then open it in Alteryx.

sheidari
8 - Asteroid

did the trick. thanks, @NeilR!

sheidari
8 - Asteroid

ok i got the workflow setup but when i run it, i get the following errors:

sheidari_0-1635525357484.png

A quick google search suggested I need to download Rtools so I did but still getting the same error. Any thoughts?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do the following at your own risk - if you mess up the R installation you may need to reinstall the Alteryx predictive tools. That being said, I was able to resolve this issue by following directions here, namely:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-4.0.5\bin
  2. Open R.exe
  3. Run install.packages("Rcpp")

I ended up having to first delete Rcpp.dll from C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-4.0.5\library\Rcpp\libs\x64, but I would only advise doing that as a last resort.

sheidari
8 - Asteroid

@NeilR still no luck. still getting the same errors below:

sheidari_0-1635537300421.png

i just upgraded designer and predictive tools to the latest version yesterday so wondering if that might have caused the issue?

ebarr
7 - Meteor

I got the connector to work and the results are producing expected results which is fantastic. How could you add additional parameters to further enhance results?  Ie). 1) when pricing trials or pricing increases/decreases occur, supply chain issues, marketing spend, external events like covid shelter in place, vaccine introduction, etc.  I’m sure 2020 is an outlier for many and I want to detect the seasonality, if there, but give proper forecast values based on hypothesized effects of other events. Or is that available only in a regression/classifier model?

sheidari
8 - Asteroid

@NeilR Thanks for the assist today. I ended up getting the Prophet tool to work. 

I installed the following packages through RStudio and made sure to install it to the correct Alteryx folder (not my personal directory) and it did the trick:

install.packages("rBayesianOptimization")
install.packages("forecast")
install.packages("prophet")
install.packages("dplyr")
install.packages("lubridate")
install.packages("rlang")

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

How can I download this? I dont have alteryx gallery.... Thanks

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Joker_Hazard I have attached the workflow to the post (here)

Gongping
5 - Atom

i got the workflow setup but when i run it, i get the following errors:

Gongping_0-1658221984049.png

how to solve it?