Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

transpose and crosstab

Brad1
11 - Bolide

I trying to get this:

Acct NumberType
111A
111B
222H
222I
222J
333M
444A
444X
444Y
444Z

To look like this:

Acct NumberType1Type2Type3Type4Type5Type6Type7
111AB     
222HIJK   
333M      
444AXYZ   

Can it be done?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Definitely possible.

You'll need to add an additional field for the Crosstab tool to use as the field headings.

There are several ways to do it -- I've included one.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

How about the attached?

crosstab.png

- Multi-Row Formula set to Group on Acct Number to get an incrementing Count for each record 

- Cross tab to use that Count as the field name

- Dynamic Rename to as the prefix

Brad1
11 - Bolide

Wow!!!  Thank you soo much!!!  It works!   I owe you a beer at Inspire.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

Thanks Joe.  I'll check yours out as well.  I greatly appreciate everyone's time.  I'm new...

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

If you're new to Alteryx, you could set yourself a challenge to find alternate ways to add the incrementing field that both @Joe_Mako and I did with the Multi-Row formula tool.

Joe also cleaned things up for you and added the prefix to the final field name.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Brad1,

I'm late to the party, but wanted to show you an alternative (laboratory) way to solve this problem.  I'm going to use a "Make Columns" tool.  With it, I can configure it for 7 columns and arrange the data how you want it (Horizontally).  The trick here is to rename the output fields (Column_1_Type) to your preference.  I did that with a regular expression:

Regex_Replace([_CurrentField_],"Column_(\d+)_(.*)",'$2$1')

Capture2.PNG

As I was walking my dog I thought of this alternative approach to the problem.  Because of it's unconventional approach, I thought that I'd post it.  I named it, transpose and crosstab without transpose and crosstab in your honor.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

@MarqueeCrew -- a fantastic way to show the flexibility of Alteryx and how inspiration can strike at the oddest times.

Labels