Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Unable to allocate 21474383647 bytes of memory" on changing datatype

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I changed one thing in my work flow; changing one columns' datatype from V_String to String using the select tool so that I can use it as a Primary key in SQL. After the change I immediately got the error, "Unable to allocate 21474383647 bytes of memory" and the workflow now runs extremely slowly with this error.

I have changed my join/sort memory to be a quarter of the RAM as recommended, that's 2000 Megabytes on my machine. 

Does anyone know anything else about this error?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It sounds like you just need to optimise the field length of the field you have changed to a string. 

Ben

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Izbiz,

I'll take this a step further.  I would try putting an AUTO FIELD Tool in and see what happens.  I will also tag a friend, @RachelW so that she has visibility to the question.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BenMoss

When I changed it to a string, it automatically put "1073741823" in the size column - what would be the optimal size for a string here? The longest string is 8 characters long.

Thanks

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In that case, 8 works!. Alternatively, as @MarqueeCrew suggests, if you use the autofield tool it will automatically detect the optimal length for the field. 

Ben

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Ok great! I'll do that

Strange that it automatically allocates the biggest (in the billions!) size possible

Thanks

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarqueeCrew

Thanks, hadn't heard of the AutoField tool until now, looks handy. In the end I just changed the size of the string field to be 20 which fixed it.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great conversation here! I'm looking into the default v_wstring size. 21474383647 is quite large. It was chosen to prevent errors with data truncation. @Izbiz What's the typical size of your records with v_wstring type? 

Rachel Wynn
Product Manager - Designer
Labels