Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

macro to pivot data

poojitha4
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have to create pivoted data from a excel sheet, I have columns like 

Market WeekCompetitor 12345678910111213141516
AWeek 1123                
BWeek 2236                
AWeek 3256                
BWeek 4456                
AWeek 5856                
BWeek 6258                

So I have three dimensions which are week, Market and competitor. Columns 1-16 are different metrics. I need to pivot this data by the week. So the new column names will essentially will be Competitor_Market_1, Competitor_Market_2, Competitor_Market_3,Competitor_Market_4,....Competitor_Market_16. I have 2 different markets and 10 different competitors, and 16 different metrics, so essentially I need to have 2*10*16 columns.

I am aware that "cross tab" node is useful here, but my only concern is I have to do it for all the 16 metrics and that makes this workflow very bulky.

I want to change this into a macro and I think that is what macros are for, make bulky workflows look easy and simple. I'm not entirely sure on how. I attach a sample image of what I tried to do with the workflow.

I want the part where I use the 16 cross tabs to become a macro, any insights will be helpful.

Thank you,

Poojitha.

4 REPLIES 4
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Can you supply some sample data in XLS or CSV format ?

I looked at the image and first thought that you wanted to transpose, but reading your post I don't quite understand why you want to do the cross-tab and merge.

Anyway, I'd be tempted to try with a single cross-tab tool and maybe some filtering after that.

Why do you want to do this though ?   I think I'd be wanting to transpose the 1-16 columns though.

poojitha4
8 - Asteroid

Hi @cmcclellan,

I have attached a sample xslx book which has sample input and output sheets. I have this requirement(client requirement) which I had to meet and I did, I just want to push through and find an optimal solution. Any insights?

Thank you,

Poojitha

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@poojitha4 I'm not sure that a macro is needed as it looks like the workflow below will accomplish what you've outlined.  If there is something I misunderstood, please let me know.  Thanks.

Macro to Pivot Data.PNG

poojitha4
8 - Asteroid

@john_miller9, you are absolutely right my friend! That's is all I need. Silly me. Thank you so much.

Labels