Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

lookup with complex logic

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I have a file where one particular column has so many items say like numbers which are separated by semicolon(;) .In current scenario(excel) what am doing is first am doing a text to column and separating it to multiple columns and with other file am vlookuping all the columns int e file  and getting the data , But with Alteryx am not sure how to do it easier as when i tried using text to column i need to specify how many columns i need to split(in this case i dont know how many as it may vary for each row) and even ig i give some random number how can i do a join (which is Vlookup in Alteryx as join just work on one column match).

Can anyone help me on this??

Regards

Rajasekar

9 REPLIES 9
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Can you please supply some sample input and output records?

Thanks,
Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Here you go.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I am sorry, but I don't see the transformation in the output other than taking the input and converting it to columns of data.  Is that what you are trying to accomplish?  I've added a workflow (v11) that will do just that.

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

Yeah basically  am trying to split the columns and then lookup with every column in the output with oen another file which i have attached with this email

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

did you try the workflow that I included in my last post?

sekarsdream
8 - Asteroid

The problem with this is i cant vlookup with columns right , like some time the columns will be 5 some time 10 so every time i may need new workflow

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I have provided the dynamic field parsing like you requested.  I don't understand the logic that you are trying to achieve through alteryx.  if you can explain it, it can be done.  I understand that you want to do vlookups.  Please show an example finished output using this data.

Thanks,

Mark

alex
11 - Bolide

So instead of 24 columns only have columns for the matches?  If so, then is this what you are looking for?

tile2.JPG

I used the tile tool instead of multi-row to generate my sequence numbers.

tile1.JPG

alex
11 - Bolide

helps if I attach the workflow too

Labels