Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

isnumber(v) isn't recognising a number

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am new to Alteryx so apologies if my question is basic.

I want column named "Replacement" to populate with True if there is a number in field "replacement order#" and to populate with False if a letter is in column "replacement order#"

I tried ISnumber[replacement order#] but it is showing 0 for all entries.

One of the numbers I am trying to return as True is is "40116486, 142698960".

I appreciate any help on this.

Regards,

Gary

10 REPLIES 10
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@GaryKennedy

If the field in question has a mix of letters and numbers it's likely formatted as a String or V_String type.  You might be better off using a regular expression to parse this out to see if it contains a number.

jm

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Yes the column is a V String type. I am not familiar with regex, can you provide some more detail as to how to parse this out please?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Regex_countmatches("[^0-9]")=0
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

I'm not sure if I did that correctly, sorry I am a complete beginner. 

I am aware that the "replacement order" column contains numbers, how do I return "True" in the separate "replacement" column and "False" if there are letters showing?

When I try the Isnumber after the regex parse I am getting a Parse error at char(30): parse expression#1) on the isnumber formula field.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Add a formula tool after your input and enter the expression that @MarqueeCrew provided (including your field name).  Wrapping it with a Switch function will give you a True / False value rather than 0,-1.

Switch(Regex_countmatches([replacement order#],"[^0-9]")=0,[replacement order#],0,'False',-1,'True')
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
If you drop that formula into a filter directly it will separate the data too

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for formula, this is almost perfect.

I want [replacement] to show "True" when "40116486, 142698960" is in the "replacement order#" field it is currently showing False. I want  "40116486, 142698960" to continue to show in the "replacement order#" field as they are for two valid order numbers. When I do parse it seems to remove one of the numbers which is not what I want.

Also I want False to show in the replacement field for [null] fields.

I really appreciate the help!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Switch(Regex_countmatches([replacement order#],"[^0-9\s,]")=0,[replacement order#],0,'False',-1,'True')

As you wish

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Brilliant! One last minor detail, any idea how to get the [null] from replacement order# field to show as False in the replacement field? It currently shows as True. 

Labels