Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to perform minus using Alteryx

kirangottu
7 - Meteor

Pls tell me How to perform MINUS using Altreyx tool...

I am a ETL tester,this function is very much needed...Currently I am doing join and comparing every column whcih is little bit tideous job. I want all the source and target columns shold be compared in a one go like MINUS .....Plsss help me....

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@kirangottu,

I reviewed a Minus Query definition at:  http://www.querysurge.com/solutions/minus-queries

Minus Query is a query that uses the MINUS operator in SQL to subtract one result set from another result set to evaluate the result set difference. If there is no difference, there is no remaining result set. If there is a difference, the resulting rows will be displayed.

Here is a solution for finding the rows that are unique to table1 and unique to table 2.

Capture2.png

Hopefully this helps solve your needs or gets you much closer.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
kirangottu
7 - Meteor

Thank you ....very much helpfull...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@kirangottu,

I have submitted a macro that creates a Minus Query for inclusion into a future release of the CReW macro pack.  I am posting the submission here for your use.  Should you find that the macro works for you, please do mark this as solved.  Otherwise, please provide your feedback.

If you save the file into your:  C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\Macros directory (may differ on your machine), the macro will be easily accessible to you.

Cheers,

Mark

DeepthiYadav
5 - Atom

@kirangottu,

Hi I am datawarehouse tester from Bangalore, have experience in etl testing using informatica. The workflows between stages tested using SQL queries.

I would like to know how the testing is done for alteryx workflows, please suggest.

kirangottu
7 - Meteor

u can reachout to me on 7259367421

erase_ego
5 - Atom

Hi @MarqueeCrew,

I was just wondering why a simple join on all columns would not suffice?  For example,  for the datasets wouldn't L & R of a join  return the result of minus operation? If we name these as Table_1 and Table_2 wouldn't L contain Table_1 - Table_2 and R contain Table_2 - Table_1?

Specifically, wouldn't the following give the same results as given by your workflow?

Minus.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Interesting point. I have played with this for multiple purposes including identifying the columns with differing values along with the capability to exclude columns from comparison.

Labels