Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

find a phrase in a text field and provide the date that is written in a new field

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I believe this question was asked before but I couldn't find the right answer. So please excuse if that is a repeated request.

My problem:

I do have a textfield where a "flowing text" is provided. Within this text there might be at some point the expression "Required start" followed by a date "dd.mm.yyyy". If that is the case the date should be provided in a new field. If not it should use an expression like "unknown".

Maybe a if then else could help but I do not know if I can use something like contains within this formula. As well as how to get the date that is behind the expression into a new field.

Example:

IDdescription

ZP: 1999/ Required start 19.04.2017 / more information / reqested support/ alpha / SP: xzz / ZP: something/ 22.09.2016 /[T]L[/T][PR]3[/PR][N]1234[/N][S]1[/S][TN]

Egle / SP: xyz / ZP: Dr. H.E. / ZP: 1234 / Required start 16.05.2017 / more information / reqested support [T]L[/T][PR]3[/PR][N]1234[/N][S]1[/S][TN]

Sometimes there are more dates mentioned this is why I need to look up "required start" at first.

Thanks for your support

Br Bennet

4 REPLIES 4
mborriero
11 - Bolide

Hi @Bennet, I would use a REGEX function to get "required date XX.XX.XXXX" in a new field, then you can use a formula removing the text "required date " and give unknown value for the null().

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hi @mborriero,

that REGEX solution works fine but I am not quite sure which formula to use for the deleting part. Could that be done with a if then else? I am not sure which expression to use here. I would try:

IF Contains([required Start date1],"date" THEN xxxx ELSE "unknown" ENDIF - what can I write for xxx? Using somthing like "delete"? I am not really familiar with that. :/

thanks for your support that is great. Even If I am still finding out what your expression: "Required start [0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+" means :). I do understand the numbers but why does \ has a "." behind it? Is that needed for "any single character"? what does that mean? no matter what is written afterwards?

Br Bennet

mborriero
11 - Bolide

Hi @Bennet, the symbol "\" before the "." it means when the char is a "." (dot)

For example, if I write \$ means when the char is $. You can use the "\" whenever you want to specify a specific char.

The reason why I add the char "\" is because the symbol "." is used in REGEX to identify any single character.

Yes, you can use an if statement. I have used an IF statement to check if the value is null. If it is null I give UNKNOWN, if not I remove the text "Required start " from the string.

I hope it helps.

Bennet
7 - Meteor

Hi,

that cool. Works fine and is juuuust a little bit different then mine. ;)

Also thank you for your explanation. That is really helpful for the future.

Always nice to see the fast and useful support here.

Have a nice day

Br Bennet

Labels