Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a VLOOKUP(MATCH()) combination in Alteryx

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

I am after an equivalent in Alteryx to the formula VLOOKUP with the column_index_no field taking different values per row for example:

VLOOKUP(CELL,ARRAY,MATCH(CELL2,ARRAY2,0),0)

I am able to use the find and replace tool if the column_index_no field is fixed i.e. not a match formula. I have tried (and failed) to do this with a join tool.

I have attached a sheet1 and sheet2 for ease of use into alteryx builds, in addition to the sheet1 - excel working to illustrate my problem.

Would be amazing if this could be solved as it would mean an entire function of my role could be done within minutes instead of hours!

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi isaac,

We can achieve this very simply by bringing in one step before our join, we can transpose the second dataset so that our categories are in a single column rather than across multiple.

See the attached example with your data.

Ben

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Thanks Ben much appreciated

Labels