Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Use join? Need to pull a value from within my dataset

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

I have a dataset where each line has a user with a 'UserID' and each user has a manager with a 'ManagerID'. Each user also has an email address, but no manager email address. I want to use the 'ManagerID' to reference that managers 'UserID' and pull their email address and place it with the user as 'Manager Email'.

Apologies if this is confusing, I wasn't sure how to word it. I can clarify if need be.

Thanks,

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@mattcoleman,

Yeah sounds like you can just join back to your original data source matching Manager ID and User ID. Just rename email address(from Manager side) to something like 'Manager Email' and you should be good to go.

Very simple sample workflow attached.

Best,
MSalvage

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

Thanks MSalvage! That's the direction I was heading, and it works well!

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way within a join to bring over records that don't have a manager, therefore no 'ManagerID'? The value is NULL, but I still want them in my final report. They are getting left behind because there is nothing to join on.

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@mattcoleman,

i think you should just be able to union all three outputs from the join.

Best,

MSalvage

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

Duh, they were already coming over in the union with L and J that you had in your example. Thanks again!

Labels