Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update specific data points when joining two different data streams

rev
7 - Meteor

Hello Everyone,

I have a file "reference" that only has unique data and takes data from another file "input".

But "reference" file should always contain up to date information.

And I only need to update, for example, ID-2090's rate and bill while leaving the data in other columns untouched.

While "reference" file might contain only 7 columns, "input" file contains 30/40 columns. 
So I need to update the Pace and Measure for a person when:

1. They are available in both files.

2. They are only available in "reference" file - then keep all the data as is.

3. They are only available in "input" file, then add their data to the "reference" file.

Unique IDNamePaceMeasureColumn AColumn BColumn C
1012ABC200650DataDataData
2012DEF300750DataDataData
2090EFG400850DataDataData
2098XYZ500950DataDataData
2080BNC6001500DataDataData
1080NBC350800DataDataData

The problem I am facing is that I am not able to update only the Pace and Measure of an ID available in both files while keeping the rest of the data constant. Primary key here would be the ID which is unique.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
gc
9 - Comet

Can you split Reference into two parts using Select tool, where part1 is unique ID+Pace+Measure and part 2 is uniqueID+<all other columns not Pace and Not measure>. Then do your processing on Part 1.  Then join Part 1 and 2 on uniqueID. Something like that?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think a Join tool on Unique ID followed by a Union tool should do what you want.

Attached a quick go

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

rev
7 - Meteor

There was my mistake! I was union-ing the data at the first go instead of joining it and then choosing which stream data point to include. Thanks for your solution!!

Labels