Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Detour Direction

asifk
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx,

I have a question, I Have been working with detour tools prior and trying to use it in my current workflow, I have 3 selections that each do a join 

eg. Left - Non Top 100 ,

Inner - Top 100 and

Full - All.

However my problem is I have updated my detour direction to left should any of the selections be made, but no output is produced and I have no results from the workflow.

Strange enough when I include an output file on my detour right (based on third selection), and select the first or second option, an output is generated.

Is there a reason why my detour lefts do not work?

Please help, I've tried all possible ways.

Regards,

Asif

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you please share your workflow, it will make it significantly easier to help debug your macro?

Ben

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@asifk,

I believe the issue is because the JOIN tools will be in an error state if your detour tools don't feed it any data. The detour doesn't disable the downstream tools if the detour doesnt send data down it.

Instead of using the detour, drop each JOIN tool into their own Tool Container and then use the Action tool to enable/disable the container. This way, downstream tools wont stop when upstream tools aren't needed.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy

asifk
8 - Asteroid

Good day @jrgo

Thank you! It was indeed the cause of my problem, the analytic app had the option of viewing the Log result and once traced I found that the workflow was ended at the Join due to zero records passed downstream.

It makes sense that an error will occur as usually when running a workflow and no data is present its as if the field to join on doesn't exist. Is this a correct assumption?

I have removed the Detour tools and instead just added containers to each join, thereafter disabling them based on selection.

Your solution made perfect sense and I am extremely grateful.

Attached is a snapshot of my changes, if you have any suggestions, please pass it on.

Regards,

Asif

Labels