Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

TrimLeft function trims off one extra character

wenjuanchen
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I am using Trimleft function to trim a string. However, it trims off one extra character.

To be specific, I have a field with value "BBC Kmlfsgees - LI6 - KE GAIN/LOSS", and I want to trim off "BBC Kmlfsgees - LI6 - " and keep "KE GAIN/LOSS". So I use 

TrimLeft([Field1], "BBC Kmlfsgees - LI6 - ")

But the result turns to be "E GAIN/LOSS".

Does anybody know why? In addition, how to fix it? I know that Regex_Replace can do the job. However, can we fix the issue with TrimLeft?

Thank you so much!

5 REPLIES 5
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@wenjuanchen

The trim functions will trim off any set of characters that you’ve specified in the second parameter, not a specific string. It’ll continue trimming until it hits a character that wasn’t specified, which in this case the “E”.

try to use the ReplaceString() function instead.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would consider the substring function as well

Substring([Field1], 21)

(I think 21 is the character length of you string to remove)

wenjuanchen
8 - Asteroid

Oops! I thought I could accept two solutions! I accepted yours first then the post after yours. But then yours is not accepted as solution anymore. Sorry! I tried Replace and it works well. Thank you so much!

wenjuanchen
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much! I tried Substring and it works well! Though it should be 22 (there is a white space in front of KE...). Thank you so much for providing new ideas!

meighu
5 - Atom

Actually I think that specifies the characters to keep.  

Labels