Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sum of just negative amounts

Laurami
6 - Meteoroid

Hello all,

I need to sum just the negative amounts of each line.

For example:

ClientSum1Sum2Sum3Sum4
X10-1020-5
Y-300-2040
Z-20-2040-20

I need to get the results that X=-15, Y=-50, Z=-60.

Do you have any suggestions of how should i do it?

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @Laurami

If you transpose your data first it will be a lot easier to work with. Then you can filter on values that are less than 0. After that it's just a simple sum :)

sumneg.PNG

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

Hi @Laurami,

I am attaching the solved workflow. I hope that helpsScreenshot (153).png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Laurami,

My friend @LordNeilLord enjoys it when I chime in on his posts with useless(ful) trivia.  I hope that you mark both solutions as accepted, but here is my take on the challenge:

@bharti_dalal shows you how to compute the total sum of the negative values by row.  This requires you to configure a formula using all variables to be added.  This approach requires LESS resources than the solution from @LordNeilLord but it may take longer to write the code and it is less dynamic.  It is however more efficient because it doesn't create new rows of data and with a large dataset it will run faster.  I would however use a different multi-field formula.  Instead of an IF statement (IIF), I would use a MIN() statement.  Take the MIN of 0 and the field.  It will run faster.

@LordNeilLord's solution is the way that I would write the code typically when there are either a large number of fields to be summed or if the fields will change from one run to the next (e.g. date columns change between runs).  That being said, if you have new date columns coming into the mix each run, you might want to add a DYNAMIC select to the flow.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@MarqueeCrew I do enjoy it! Sometimes it makes me cry but overall it's a positive!

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

bharti_dalal
10 - Fireball

@MarqueeCrew Thanks for your feed back.I thought of using MIN() but then I went other way round;) 

Labels