Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtract one row from another based on a common ID and different cost categories

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Here is my basic problem.   An Item can have multiple rows if it has multiple Cost Types.  

I want to setup a formula that finds those rose that have multiple Cost Types and subtract A from B and replace the amount for A with the result or create a new row (call it A-B) and get rid of the original A and B rows for an item.  I want to keep all As that don't have a corresponding B and all Cs.  

What would the formula (or multi-field formula) look like?

Thank you for your assistance.  

ItemCost TypeAmount
99999A235253
10001A32423
10001B243523
10001C3235
54321A154325
6 REPLIES 6
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Here's one way to solve this

Subtract Rows Solution.PNGSubtract Rows Output.PNG

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Here is an alternative approach to solving this.

2018-02-11_00006.png

danrh
13 - Pulsar

This should get you there:

image.png

The Cross Tab puts the different cost types in different columns.  Then a simple formula produces the result you're looking for, a Transpose to put the data back in it's original form, and a filter to get rid of the excess rows.

Hope it helps!

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Thank you @john_miller9. This almost works.  But, it still keeps the original A and B rows for Item 10001 (and all Items like 10001 when I try to scale it).

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

This works @danrh great.   But, I quickly ran into a problem.   My real dataset also has a column for Quantity.   Where Cost Type A will always have a value between 0 and N.   Cost Type B and C will always be 0.  Adding Quantity, trips up the approach.   But, I am working amending the Quantity column back to the final result of your solution.  

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

It worked.  Thank you.

I had to add a quantity field.  I filtered out Quantity, solved for A-B, and appended Quantity to the result.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.13.46 AM.png

Labels