Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Spatial Grouping/Clustering

dtokarz312
8 - Asteroid

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create groups or clusters for spatial points? I have about 1,200 points positioned globally and I need to group the ones that close to each other. The only information in the table is a unique ID and lat/lon coordinates. 

I was thinking of creating 20 or 30 mile voronoi rings then combining the spatial trade area to create a single group. Then use Find Nearest to assign points that are within 2 or 3 miles of a trade area. That should help with the stranglers. Problem is in areas where the sites are really dense. Ex NYC. The group can get really large almost cover half the Northeast. 

The whole process needs be automated, as new points are added daily. Any ideas? 

Best, 

Derek 

28 REPLIES 28
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you looking to cluster on location only, or are you looking to group by vehicle, speed, time, etc?  Please be more specific with what factors affect the clustering.  If you could share some sanitized sample data as well, that would be great.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Yes i am clustering based on the location. Please find attached the sample data.

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

@Srehul - Any thoughts on that please? thanks

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Attached is an expanded sample workflow.  The groupings happen based on proximity, and can be adjusted based on the number of groups you want to return and the grouping seed.  The clusters are pretty huge right now due to the limited size of the sample, but some playing around should dial it in to what you need.  Let me know if this is the direction you're looking to go in.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you so much. I am unable to import / open it. its giving me error. Please find attached.

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

It's an Alteryx version error.  I'm running 11.3.2.29874.  I think you need to update to the most recent version.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you i updated it. But now with a new error.  Please guide thanks

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

When is run this is the overall error.

EricM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @sriniprad08

It looks like you need to install the predictive tools. Launch Alteryx, select Options -> Download Predictive Tools.

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi, @EricM and Srhul - Thank you so much it worked wonder. But i am stuck with one last thing. How can i visualize this? either in a map or graph? Please help here is the attached output.

Labels