Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select columns dynamically at the run time in Analytical App

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am bulding an analytical application. I have a scenario wherein, user must select the columns at run time and post which those coulmns must be grouped by. Please help me on this.

10 REPLIES 10
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Hi @AmitBelagali,

From your query I think what you need is to check the option 'Show field map' in the macro input tool:

Show Field Map: When checked, the end user will be asked to point to their fields that match the template input specified in step 1.

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@AmitBelagali,

Are you referring to needing to modify an SQL Select query based on what the user selects?

We (or me specifically) would need a bit more details and maybe show/share what you've developed in Alteryx so far to add some context to what you'd like Alteryx to do.

If it might help, take a look at the Virtual Training site. There's 3 "Applications" and 3 "Macros" recordings that might include what you're trying to achieve.

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DataBlender,

Thanks a lot for your swift reply.

I cannot use Macro Input tool as the workflow will be converted to a macro type workflow and not Analytical app. I need to have the workflow as an analytical app.

The problem that I am facing is, I have source as an excel, there are like 24-26 columns. In which, I need to give option to user to select dimensions and measures. Post which, if the field is a string then it should be added to group by and if the field is a measure ( double or float) then it should be summed. 

Hope this is clear. 

Thanks in advance. 

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AmitBelagali,

Attached is probably the easiest way that I can think of, assuming I understood your need correctly, by transposing and then crosstabbing the data back, but SUM'd. The action tools are used to simply update the field selections.

I know that there's another way to accomplish this by having the Action tool update the XML configuration of the Summarize tool directly, but updating XML is a bit out of my skill set.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jimmy

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AmitBelagali,

Thank you for accepting my response as your solution. I'm not sure if i'm following what you mentioned though. Would you be able to share a workflow that encompasses what you're trying to do? This would give me a bit more perspective if I can a look at what the data looks like to start with and what it should look like afterwards.

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

HBarge
8 - Asteroid

Hi Amit,

Thank you for the example.

However, I am unable to get an output.

Can you make this a bit more easy? 

OutputOutput

Labels