Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Searching a value based on Manager ID in same file.

SR
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I am trying to search manager location based on the manager id in the below table. the goal is to input Austin in Row 1 , NY in Row 2. how can i achieve this .

Emp IDManager IDLocationManager Location row
123899   1
899122Austin  2
122453NY  3

Thanks

SR

4 REPLIES 4
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@SR,

I would join your data to itself, linking manager ID and Emp ID.

Attached is a sample solution.

Best,

MSalvage

SR
8 - Asteroid

thanks for the reply. I tried your method but my data set has duplicates emp id which for reason is causing an Cartesian join .

how can i avoid that.

or let me rephrase my problem.. Basically some emp if will have location null . however their manager will always have a location populated. so where ever an emp has null location, i want it to search the manager's location and input that value. so for emp 123, it should search manager 444's location which is Austin. Similarly , for 544 it should input NY.

Emp IdManager IDLocation
122444Austin
444999Chicago
999XNY

Thanks

SR

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@SR,

I think using my previous solution should still work. I would just utilize the new "Manager Location" field to populate the Null Employee locations. Just use a Formula tool to update the Location field with the following:

IF IsNull([Location]) Then [Manager Location]

ELSE [Location]

ENDIF

As far as the duplicates go I would use a unique tool on the manager side data stream before the join.

Best,

MSalvage

SR
8 - Asteroid

this worked. thank you for your help!

Labels