Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reporting no record output

msoysal
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am trying to report recurrence of duplicate values in an ID field. There are 100 records in my data set, and 8 of them are duplicate. Each of those 8 are repeated only once. When I check for the recurrence of duplication greater than 2, the filter tool shows no result as there is no ID repeated more than twice. When I want to report this using Union tool, I do not get any result from the related filter to join with the other results; just the field name but no “record”. That is why I can’t use any formulation to process the output. Since there is no record, there is no value to call, impute or convert. I just need one record with either Null or empty value to report. Please see the workflow attached. Appreciate your help in advance.

ScreenShot.png

7 REPLIES 7
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

How would you like the end of this workflow stream to look?  I'm confused why you're not just ending this stream with the first summarize tool.  That will list each ID number and the number of times it occurs. 

msoysal
7 - Meteor

This is a simplified version of a data validation process that I show cased a fraction of it with a sample data. There are number of check points across other streams of data sources with various counts that I want to consolidate in a single report. I obviously see the results of each count but not able to report that. In the report, I would like to have no-record results (count checks) to be shown with a value reading "0".

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In your screenshot, what would you like the results to look like coming out of the Union tool?  Can you provide a screenshot of what you'd expect to come out of that union tool.

msoysal
7 - Meteor

In the screenshot below, there are 4 streams joined in the union tool. The results pane shows the output of 3 but not the one at the bottom since that is a no-record stream (I posted that result earlier). As you see the Gr3DuplPC has no value. I want that field to be represented with a separate record here with a value of “0”.

Screenshot2.png

Nate1
8 - Asteroid

Probably not the most elegant solution, but I used a count records tool to determine if the 2nd filter had any records. You would need to rename the output stream before the union but I think it accomplishes what you are looking for. 

msoysal
7 - Meteor

Brilliant! That's what I was looking for. Thank you! 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I see now.  Yes, using the count record tool is one way to do it.  Only a couple extra tools so I'd say that's elegant enough!

Labels