Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replacing / escaping special characters to be used for JSON

michael_hartmann1
8 - Asteroid

I have a process that is generating some JSON that is used with a Download tool (using POST HTTP action) to update a database via an API. All is good except there is a required field that has some data that may have special characters in it. I need to replace those special characters with valid escape characters for JSON. I found some documentation about what is valid, but I don't see an easy way to do this. I saw something like this in a tool that escapes special characters for XML, but I don't think that will work.

Does anyone have a handy way to do this? Maybe with some Regex (I don't know Regex, but this seems like a good use case)?

6 REPLIES 6
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Using the list from https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/javascript-escapes

How about something like this:

IF IsNull([String]) THEN '\0' ELSE
Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace([String], 
CharFromInt(92),'\\'),
CharFromInt(12),'\f'),
CharFromInt(10),'\n'),
CharFromInt(13),'\r'),
CharFromInt(9),'\t'),
CharFromInt(11),'\v'),
CharFromInt(39),"\'"),
CharFromInt(34),'\"'),
CharFromInt(8),'\b')
ENDIF
michael_hartmann1
8 - Asteroid

@Joe_Mako - thanks! I just tried that. It looks as if your formula worked like a champ.

Unfortunately, the post via the API failed from that. I have a request in with the vendor of that API to get some clarification on how to handle...maybe they have a special case. But, I think your solution should work well.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I also just saw http://stackoverflow.com/a/27516892 so the character codes may need to be edited, or made more sophisticated to handle other characters with the /u escape character, and a single quote may not be a valid character in JSON.

michael_hartmann1
8 - Asteroid

I saw that same conversation on stackoverflow.com yesterday (in fact, printed out the diagram). I think this comes down to the specifics about the API I'm trying to interface with. Once I get an answer about that, I think the solution you provided will work well.

Thanks @Joe_Mako

michael_hartmann1
8 - Asteroid

Ok, the plot has thickened on this one. Turns out that the real issue was a missing value in a required field. BUT...regarding the special characters, I have used the formula that was provided earlier in this thread - THANKS - and it works great. For new line, it replaces it with "\n" (without the quotes). But, somehow - either in Alteryx / cURL or in the third party API, it is becoming "/n" and that content is being updated on my record. So, if I start with "line 1[newlne char]line2" it is updating to "line1/nline2".

This is not an area of expertise for me, so I'm wondering if anyone has any clues or ideas to get around this. I am trying to coordinate a call wtih Alteryx support and the other vendor, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced something like this. 

25priyanka02
5 - Atom

Hello Micheal, 

Did you find a solution to \n issue in the JSON file after download tool use?

Labels