Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing an Indeterminate Number of Rows

Patches
5 - Atom

Hello all,

I get reports with a number of garbage rows before data actually starts.  The issue is, depending on the report the number of garbage rows will vary. However, there is a constant.  There's a cell under Field_1 with "Report Fields" in it, and this is the row directly before the field names for my data.

My current thought process is to search each row for "Report Fields" and remove any row before it.  Then I could use the Sample tool to remove the first record, and then get my correct field names.  

I attached two files to this discussion: the workflow, and some sample data.

I'm fairly new to the platform, so please let me know if there's anything else I can provide here.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Welcome to the forum @Patches

I think you've already cracked it. Just put a filter after the multi row to exclude the nulls, skip the first row as you suggested and then use the dynamic rename tool to rename the columns automatically.

Indeterminate rows.png

Patches
5 - Atom

Thanks!  The answer was staring me right in the face!  

I hadn't thought to use the filter tool, and with this I can even forego the use of the multi row, and the sample tool.  The workflow is so much cleaner now!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Well done @DataBlender.  @Patches does need to remove the LOC field.

I like what i see

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels