Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Raw data to Pivot table

ssubra60
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone, I am trying to change the following data into a pivot table. I am totally lost on how to do this. Any ideas? I have attached the book1 file where there is a raw data format and the desired output file. If someone can help, I will be highly appreciative. Thanks, Sri

Raw data:

Income statementJan  Feb  Mar  
  ARSAUDBGLARSAUDBGLARSAUDBGL
A010T-Total Vehicle Sales -- Dealers -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   
A011T-Total DH&D -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   
A012-Dealer Margin Holdbacks -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   
A015-Other Revenue Reductions -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   
      -    -    -    -    -    -   

The desired format is like a pivot table

TimeAccount lineCurrency
Jan 2017A010T-Total Vehicle Sales -- DealersARS
Jan 2017A011T-Total DH&DARS
Jan 2017A012-Dealer Margin HoldbacksAUD
Jan 2017A015-Other Revenue ReductionsAUD
Jan 2017A020-Vehicle Sales -- OutsideAUD
---
Feb 2016A010T-Total Vehicle Sales -- DealersARS
Feb 2017A011T-Total DH&DARS
Feb 2018A012-Dealer Margin HoldbacksARS
10 REPLIES 10
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@ssubra60, 

I hope I did this in the right direction. I was a little confused whether the Excel sheet was indeed the raw data or not, but I used it as such.

Also, I just guessed that there would be an income field and populated it. Example attached.

Good Luck, 

MSalvage

ssubra60
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your solution. Would you mind sending your solution in a version compatible with 10.6? Is this hard?

I am new to Alteryx and my company has not recommended the 11 use yet.

If it is too hard, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sri

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

This is a bit arduous, but I think it gives you the basics on how to transpose data.  There is nothing in the source data to tell me how the year is determined, so I left that undone:

ssubra60
6 - Meteoroid

This solution addresses the problem I had of identifying the new months and transposing them. I am hoping I can pass it through the original file to see if I can replicate the flow for the actual file. Thank you so much!

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@ssubra60, 

Actually I do not know how to do that. Sorry about that... 

-MSalvage

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@ssubra60,

Decided to google it and look at that there is a post describing how to do adjust it to your version. 

Hope it works out.

-MSalvage

ssubra60
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @cpatterson,

Thanks for the solution. The alteryx seems to work half way till you get to "jan,aud" "jan,cad" but when using cross-tab to create the pivot table, the income statement lines are lost in the "in-number" parsing. Would you it be possible to help to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Sri

pcatterson
11 - Bolide

I'm not clear what isn't working.

Could you fill in your before and after with hypothetical data so I know where you want it to all end up?  You left the table blank and I had to imagine a likely scenario where things would be.

ssubra60
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @cpatterson

This is the file with pseudo data and what we need is a pivot table by month, currency, income line the dollars i.e

So each cell will be a separate line in the pivot table with its dimensions as row ad well,

For example- the vehicles cost in AUD for Jan 2017 IS 300 then we have:

Jan 2017            AUD         Vehicles Cost       300

Jan 2017           AUD          Revenue               400

Please see attached.

Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Sri

Labels