Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R code non parsed well

florini
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, please see attached macro. 

Practically what I want to achieve is to read dates in one table and compare them to intervals in the other table. Make a join based on this. 

I found the solution in R here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41132081/find-which-interval-row-in-a-data-frame-that-each-eleme...

I works well in R studio but not in Alteryx. 

Error: R (7): Error in grep(regexp, the.map$names, ignore.case = TRUE, perl = (length(regions) < :
Info: R (7): invalid regular expression '(^~)|(^.x %[]% data.frame(intervals[, c("start", "end")]))'
Info: R (7): Calls: %>% -> eval -> eval -> map -> map.poly -> grep
Info: R (7): In addition: Warning message:
Info: R (7): In grep(regexp, the.map$names, ignore.case = TRUE, perl = (length(regions) < :
Info: R (7): PCRE pattern compilation error
Info: R (7): 'unmatched parentheses'
Info: R (7): at ')'
Error: R (7): Execution halted

Any idea how to interpret/fix this?

Thank you,

F

12 REPLIES 12
Philip
12 - Quasar

Not sure about the R code, but you could do it with only Alteryx:

VLookup Join.png

florini
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Philip, challenge is this only works for small datasets, but I want a script that can be applied to larger data sets...

The native Alteryx way of doing it, using rows generate is also possible but that one also requires millions of records at least... which cannot be usable if the data periods grow a lot...

Philip
12 - Quasar

How large are the data sets?

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @florini,

Do you use the same version of R with RStudio and Alteryx? Is it 3.2.3 or 3.3.2?

Looking at your code, why do you need library("maps") [https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/maps/maps.pdf]?  

Thanks

Philip
12 - Quasar

This is the almost correct code:

You need the tidyverse package for the map function.

You need the intrval package for the %[]% function.

It still gives an error I'm tracking down.

Error: R (7): Error in `mostattributes<-`(`*tmp*`, value = attributes(elts[[1L]])) :
Info: R (7): adding class "factor" to an invalid object
Info: R (7): Calls: %>% ... .intrval -> .get_intrval -> pmin -> mostattributes<-

library(tidyverse)
library(intrval) 

elements = read.Alteryx("#2", mode="list")
intervals = read.Alteryx("#1", mode="data.frame")

phases_for_elements <- 
  map(elements, ~.x %[]% data.frame(intervals[, c('start', 'end')])) %>% 
  map(., ~unlist(intervals[.x, 'oid'])) 

result <- unlist(phases_for_elements, recursive = TRUE, use.names = TRUE)

final <- data.frame(lu,result)

write.Alteryx(final)
Philip
12 - Quasar

i am interested how the R function performs versus the Alteryx method. I ran 10 million records through the Alteryx on my i5 laptop in about 3 minutes.

Philip
12 - Quasar

i am interested how the R function performs versus the Alteryx method. I ran 10 million records through the Alteryx on my i5 laptop in about 3 minutes.

florini
6 - Meteoroid

So I have 3.8 million dates in one table to lookup in 30,000 intervals in the second table... and the Alteryx way (all those ways are literally creating fake lines for the comparison) is creating far too many lines ... so I looked for a scritp to treat one line at a time without mass creating more lines...

florini
6 - Meteoroid

Right, I installed the packages but did not called them anymore. I un-commented the lines, all worked well... now I get the same error as you do :(

Thanks for this observation... 

Labels