Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Potential Bug: Multi - Row Formula

michael_d
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm running version 11.5.1.31573 Alteryx Designer x64 and I think I may have spotted a bug, not sure if it's been fixed for later versions but I've attached a simple macro that hopefully should highlight the problem with some jpegs showing the output of the workflow.

I ran the macro multiple times repeatedly and it seems the Multi - Row Formula tool is giving me different results every now and then (inducing Null values and strange numbers). I hope you can recreate it and it's not just me going crazy...

Many thanks,

Michael

Data Input.JPGMeta Input.JPGMulti-Row Formula Results1.JPGMulti-Row Formula Results2.JPGMulti-Row Formula Results3.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @michael_d ,

I've moved this post over to the 'data preparation and blending' section.

I'm not able to replicate the issue you are showing in your screen shots.  Can you provide a little more color around the steps you go through to produce the issue?

How consistently can you reproduce it?  

Thanks,

Jess Silveri
Manager, Technical Account Management | Alteryx
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@michael_d,

Possible that there is still a bug, but the reason why you're getting different results is because of a setting you configured in the tool

image.png

This option was set to "Set to Values of Closest Valid Row", which is why you were getting some really large/unusual values. Instead, use "0 or Empty". It is also good practice sort your results prior to them going into this tool.

Attached is a modified version of your macro that changes this. I also added another option on there that would simplify your expression by specifying "Group By" fields. This essentially restarts the expression for each distinct value(s) within the grouped field(s) selected.

image.png

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jimmy

michael_d
8 - Asteroid

Hi @jrgo and @JessicaS,

Thanks for your swift replies, my apologies I've been a bit under the weather recently. A few things, I seem to be unable to reproduce the problem now even though on Friday it was occurring once every four or five times I ran the macro, it could rear it's head again sometime in the future. I just thought with those crazy values coming out something must be causing it.

Thanks for your efforts and suggestions @jrgo I completely forgot about the group by option and the 0 or Empty does seem to be a better choice in this case, I'm still not sure how that would explain the crazy values I was getting. I'll still accept your answer as a solution.

@JessicaS what other info would you need?

Thanks,

Michael

Labels