Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse string into rows, then concatenate in specific order

jasondika
6 - Meteoroid

I have a long, irregularly formatted text string field that looks like this:

Cake ingredients: flour, sugar, milk, eggs.  Contains: milk; wheat     Frosting ingredients: sugar, butter, water, food coloring    Allergen alert: contains milk.  Conventional oven: preheat to 350 degrees.  Bake for 40 minutes.  Product of the USA.

I need to parse ingredients, allergens, preparation instructions, country of origin, and a few other fields, then re-concatenate like fields (ingredients with ingredients, allergens with allergens) in the same order in which they appear.  The resulting text would appear like this:

[Ingredients:] Cake ingredients: flour, sugar, milk, eggs.  Frosting ingredients: sugar, butter, water, food coloring

[Warnings:] Allergen alert: contains milk.  Contains: milk; wheat

[Instructions:] Conventional oven: preheat to 350 degrees.  Bake for 40 minutes.  

[Country of Origin:] Product of the USA.

I have figured out how to parse the values and concatenate them back together, but I can't figure out how to concatenate the values in a pre-defined order.  First, I look for keywords in the string and insert delimiters, then I parse the string into multiple rows, then I parse each value into two fields--one containing the data type (e.g., ingredients, warnings, etc.).  I can then use the Summarize tool to concatenate all values with the same data type together, or I can do this step in the Cross-Tab tool, but the fields are not being combined in the correct order.  (Note: I'm not performing any other operations between these parse and cross-tab steps.)  I think I need to somehow insert the sort during my first parsing step, but I can't figure out how to do this.

2 REPLIES 2
pcatterson
11 - Bolide

You may find a RegEx Parse more straight forward.  I have included an example:

jasondika
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately, the order of delimitation varies from record to record.  I think I figured it out using the Multi-Row Formula tool to number each row after the initial parse.  Thanks!

Labels