Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output different files to multiple tabs in an Excel file

bjmdm83
6 - Meteoroid

I am fairly new to Alteryx. I created a workflow and need it to separate the different Broker #'s data into different tabs and show the column totals at the bottom of the row for three separate columns in each of the tabs. The total needs to include a comma if necessary and $. I copied the formula from the knowledge base Everything You Need To Know About Adding Totals to the Final Row of Your Dataset into my workflow but I've done something wrong because the total shows up on a different tab and doesn't include comma's or $. 

Thank you,

Michelle

5 REPLIES 5
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Michelle,

Can you please attach a copy of your workflow so that we can troubleshoot? Hard to resolve if we can't see the configurations/etc. Thanks! :)

NJ

bjmdm83
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry about that. Here's a copy of my workflow.

Michelle Felipe
Sales Systems Analyst

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Alteryx and welcome to the community!!!

You're so close! For Alteryx to include characters like a $ and/or comma, you need to output into a table (using the reporting tools) rather than using a standard Output tool that writes to Excel.

In the Table tool, you can configure your table to group by Broker. Then, set up a Column rule so that where a non-summarized field (in my attached workflow, Region) is blank, you insert the word Total instead.image.png

Next comes a Layout tool. The mode should be Each Individual Record, and the Layout Configuration is Vertical with Section Breaks

Finally, the Render tool will create the Excel file. I have mine set up to insert Section Breaks as the separator. That splits the sections into separate sheets.

I've attached a sample workflow that does this. 

Hope it helps!!

Best, Esther

bjmdm83
6 - Meteoroid
Thank You so much for your help. One more question for you, how do I get the totals to be at the end of the data and not in a different tab?

Michelle Felipe
Sales Systems Analyst
925-368-9573

This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information confidential to The Clorox Company and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete this message and notify the sender immediately.
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi Michelle,

If you open and run my workflow, you should see the totals at the bottom of each sheet rather than on a separate tab,

If you replace the text in that column (Broker in my example) with the word "Total" before you add the table tool, then that "Total" will be treated as a separate broker, and be on its own tab. 

By setting up a column rule in the Table tool, you can replace the instance of the broker name or number with the word "total" and keep the totals together with the things they are totalling.

Best,

Esther

Labels