Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

NORMDIST

NoahNathan
7 - Meteor

Is there an ability to query the cumulative normal distribution from the Z score - much like =NORM.S.DIST(2,TRUE) does in Excel?

Either an In-DB and/or function would be perfect!

13 REPLIES 13
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

YnEoS.

Out of the box, the function is not explicitly present in Alteryx.  One can however use the R tool and create a macro that delivers the function.  Alternatively, the function can be configured using standard tools.

@DylanB created a lnorm function as an answer to a previous post (search for "distribution").

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Advanced-Analytics/Lognormal-Distribution-Cumulative-Function/m-p/2...

Creation or modification of this macro could be all that you need.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

If you are happy using a third party library for Alteryx, I have a NormDist function in my formula addins (https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxFormulaAddOns/releases/tag/v1.2)

2017-01-25_22-56-21.jpg2017-01-25_22-56-34.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!

I tried installing it and can get the string/misc/date utils to work but not the math utils.

Anything special to be done regarding the math utils?

Thanks,

Hadrien

sgramkow
5 - Atom

Hi,

I've installed the math functions, but i doesn't work. The files are correctly copied, but the formula tool cant find the normdist function. I've tryed to follow the steps in your pdf specification, but it still doesnt work.

Do you have any idea if theres something different in the new 2018.3?

lross492
5 - Atom

Hello, I was able to successfully install the files, and the NormDist function works when I specify the X, mean, and StdDev within the formula node. However, when I try to link up to a text file with the same inputs, it gives me an error. I think the error is specifically for the standard deviation value, as it runs successfully up until I use the text file as an input for the StdDev field.

This is working:

lross492_1-1644855866573.png

This is not working:

lross492_3-1644855904557.png

lross492_4-1644855975812.png

Error:

"Formula (16) Parse Error at char(0): Error in parsing a formula: Error in function boost::math::cdf(const normal_distribution<double>&, double): Random variate x is -nan(ind), but must be finite! (Expression #2)"

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lross492 Thanks, I'll take a look and get back to you!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lross492 I looked at our source files and the latest version shouldn't have the issue you're seeing. We also ran into the same issue as you and applied a fix.  You'll just need to dowload the latest dll and xml files from github: https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxFormulaAddOns. Then you'll need to replace your current abacus dll and xmls with the new ones. The files are in the %AlteryxBinDirectory%\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn folder, so something like C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\FormulaAddIn for the standard install.

lross492
5 - Atom

Thanks Patrick.

When I click on the AlteryxAbacus.dll file, there is an option to download which I have done. I am not seeing a similar download options for the 4 .xml files. 

How would you suggest replacing the .xmls?

Update: I just manually created the .xmls using the raw data from the link. Looks to be working!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@lross492 Awesome!

Labels